Wednesday, December 7, 2011

the fight

Today in lunch I was sitting by myself when my friend in my spanish class came and asked if she could sit with me. I of course didnt care at all and enjoyed the company for once. She told me all about her school year and who are her friends and who arent. Even though I could definetely tell in class. She seemed more of the popular side and was very funny. I told her a little about my background and how my parents have always wanted to come to America because they thought there were more opportunities. I explained to her that there are only more opportunities if you come from the right place, have the right name, or the "right" race and told her how my dad can't seem to get a job at the big farms so now he's searching at the smaller ones where they only pay half as much and have fewer hours.

We continued sharing stories back and forth for what seemed like forever, when all of a sudden there was a huge crowd of kids and lots of yelling. Right away she explained to me this happens every couple of weeks. Theres a African American kid in ninth grade and the white senior group of jocks always pick on him and push him around, and everyone watches- but no one does anything. It made me quite sad for this boy but i never commented on it and neither did she.

No comments:

Post a Comment